This Tuna Noodle Casserole is a simple and delicious weeknight meal. Bake it in the oven or serve it stove-top style. Both versions are delicious!
Tuna Noodle Casserole!! Either you love it or hate it. My little family is on the love-it-like-crazy-I-will-fight-you-for-the-leftovers side. Tuna Noodle Casserole is a crowd-pleasing, comforting and simple weeknight meal. This recipe is made with a homemade cream sauce, frozen veggies, canned tuna and topped with Ruffles Chips because in my opinion, that is the only way to make a one of these casseroles.
Sometimes, I think tuna tends to get a bad wrap, especially when added into a casserole, perhaps because it can be viewed as “fishy” but this recipe could possibly convince those little palates in your lives otherwise. (The chips help significantly.) My kids cleared their plates and then went in for seconds! And, that basically never happens. Add a few Ruffles chips on top and suddenly it’s the best dinner ever.
I made this quick stove-top version the other day and by george I liked it even more than the kind you bake in the oven. It’s faster, easier, and uses pretty simple ingredients. I’m talkin’ about you, frozen vegetables. But, feel free to adapt as you like, using condensed soup for the ‘sauce’ or french fried onions for the topping, turning this into your own version of Tuna Noodle Casserole you think your family would like. I used a simple roux with some butter, flour, chicken stock, white wine, milk and cream. All things I happened to have on hand. After the sauce is made, you just add in your cooked pasta, frozen veggies and tuna. Stir, top with ruffles and either serve immediately, or bake, whatever your heart desires.
It’s a creamy and delicious dinner that could turn the tuna hater into a tuna lover! Well, maybe not lover, but you know what I mean 😉
Save, print, pin or bookmark the recipe below because I think you’ll want to add this into your weekly rotation! It’s that good 🙂 Have a great day, friends!!
Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 1 package egg noodles
- 8 oz. frozen vegetables half a bag
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine I used a Chardonnay
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans white albacore tuna in water drained well
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup plain ruffles chips approximately, crushed
- dried parsley flakes for garnish, optional
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Cook egg noodles according to package directions until al dente. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, stir in frozen vegetables. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Replace hot pot back to medium heat. Melt butter, then whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in chicken stock and wine. Sauce should form and start to thicken. Simmer for 3 minutes to cook out alcohol in the wine. Continue whisking to avoid getting lumps. Stir in milk, cream, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low heat for another 3 minutes. Stir in cooked noodles and veggies. Add in tuna and parmesan cheese and stir. Top with crushed chips, parsley flakes and serve.