This Creamy Ranch Chicken Casserole recipe is SO simple to make! Pop it in the oven and enjoy a tasty and simple chicken casserole dinner tonight. Enjoy!
If you need an easy and simple dinner with only a few minutes of prep, this Creamy Ranch Chicken Casserole is your ticket! Minimal ingredients, maximum flavor that the whole family will enjoy. Serve with some Butter Rice and Maple Glazed Carrots for the perfect meal!
As most busy moms, dads and old-school grandmas will tell you, there isn’t anything much more beloved than a chicken casserole. I love a good casserole and I always forget how easy they are!! This particular recipe is a Ranch version of my Swiss Chicken Bake, but instead of using homemade cream of chicken soup, I used the can because I had it on hand. Both ways are delicious! See my notes below on making this from scratch.
Basic Chicken Casserole Ingredients
Most casseroles, especially chicken casserole recipes consist of three main parts: the chicken, the sauce and some sort of crispy topping.
- Chicken – An essential part of this recipe, obviously by the title. I love using chicken tenders because they cook much faster than an actual chicken breast. Be aware that your cooking time will increase if you’re using whole chicken breasts. Chicken cutlets would work well and have the same cooking time as listed below. If you only have the thicker chicken breast, feel free to cube it up and throw it in the bottom of the 9×13 dish.
- The Sauce – the creamy sauce for this casserole is made up of Cream of Chicken soup, Sour Cream, Ranch Seasoning, and Cheese. All four of these ingredients are mixed together to make the most delicious slather for chicken that there ever was.
- The Topping – I tend to gravitate towards crushed Ritz crackers for any casserole topping because they create a perfectly crunchy and buttery top, but feel free to use club crackers, soda crackers, french fried onions or even corn flakes (a la funeral potatoes).
How to Make this Chicken Casserole Recipe
You only need about 10 minutes of prep to get this casserole ready for the oven! Don’t forget the exact measurements and directions are listed in the recipe card below.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the chicken pieces into the bottom of the pan.
- Stir cream of chicken soup, sour cream, ranch seasoning, and cheese together in a large bowl.
- Spread creamy mixture over chicken evenly. It doesn’t look good now but trust me, when it comes out of the oven it will look like heaven.
- Crush Ritz Crackers and top casserole. You’re looking for medium to small pieces.
- Bake 25-35 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Enjoy on its own or with rice.
Can I make this in advance?
Yes! Simply make according to recipe directions and store covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. If you are planning on storing it longer than that, I’d recommend adding the crushed crackers right before baking.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
This chicken casserole recipe can last 3-4 days, stored in the refrigerator covered. To reheat, bake at 325-350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes. Or for individual portions, you can nuke it in the good ol’ microwave. Either way, be careful because contents WILL be hot.
Can you freeze casserole?
Yes, you absolutely can! Put together the whole casserole, minus the topping, seal in an airtight container and then freeze, unbaked. When ready to bake, thaw, then add the Ritz topping and bake.
Thaw it out in the fridge the day before baking or reheating.
If you want to freeze a baked casserole, follow the directions, let cool completely and then freeze.
Be sure to pin, save, email, bookmark or share this recipe because it’s one you’re going to keep coming back to again and again! Have a great day, friends!
Creamy Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 2 lbs. chicken tenderloins
- 10 1/2 oz. cream of chicken soup 1 can
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 oz. ranch seasoning packet
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 40 Ritz crackers crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread chicken into the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, stir cream of chicken soup together with sour cream, ranch seasoning, and cheese. Spread over chicken evenly.
- Top with crushed crackers and bake 25-30 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Enjoy on its own or with rice.