This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies are laced with tons of dark chocolate which takes them right over the top! They are similar to my Chocolate Chip Cookies but with brown butter and chocolate chunks instead of chips. So good, make a double batch!
Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies | Made with Brown Butter
Now, is there anything better than chocolate or butter? I submit that there is not. Well, maybe brown butter and dark chocolate. These Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies are simply regular chocolate chip cookies made with a few fancy ingredients. Brown butter cranks up the nutty flavor and dark chocolate makes these rich and practically irresistible.
Anyways, these are as simple as making any cookie and taste phenomenal fresh out of the oven. One of my husband’s new favorites!
Main Ingredients Needed
Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies are filled with all the yummy fixings of a regular chocolate chip cookie. The only difference is the method! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Butter – this is toasted in a pan before being added to the dough. If you’re not into brown butter, just use regular melted butter instead.
- Sugar + Brown Sugar – for sweetness! Brown sugar to keep these cookies soft.
- Egg – for structure and texture.
- Vanilla – for flavor! (Use the pure stuff if you have it).
- Flour – this fills out the rest of the cookies.
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda – both are used for rise and softness.
Dark Chocolate Chunks vs Chips
You can either use dark chocolate chunks OR chips for this recipe (either will taste delightful). However, the main difference between the two is that chunks become meltier as the cookie bakes while chocolate chips are specifically made to keep their shape. So if you have a preference about how melty and gooey your chocolate gets, choose accordingly.
How to Make Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
For full details on how to make Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies, see the recipe card down below!
Step 1: Preheat Oven
Preheat oven. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat and set aside.
Step 2: Brown Butter
Place butter into a small pot over medium heat. After the butter has melted, start swirling the pot gently until it starts to brown and become fragrant. Once the butter is a golden amber color, take off the heat and pour into the bowl of a mixer.
Step 3: Make Cookie Dough
Pour in sugar and brown sugar. Stir. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape sides and stir again. Pour in all dry ingredients and stir slowly. Scrape sides and mix again briefly. Stir in dark chocolate chunks and stir by hand.
Step 4: Bake + Cool
Scoop by the teaspoon into pans and bake until lightly golden around the edges.
After a few minutes of cooling on the baking sheet, transfer to a cooling rack. I highly highly recommend eating these warm with lots of milk!
Storing Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
If you have leftover Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies, store the cooled cookies in an airtight container with a slice of plain sandwich bread resting on top. Store-bought white bread is perfect!
Cookies should stay fresh for 2 days and are passable after 3 days, though, who still has cookies sitting on their counter 3 days after they have made them? They don’t last that long at my house.
You can essentially make and freeze these Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies baked or unbaked. Here are the directions for both.
If you want to bake these in advance, follow the recipe instructions listed below and cool completely. Then store in an airtight container or zip-top plastic bags and freeze.
As long as they are in an airtight container, the cookies should last 1-2 months in the freezer.
To reheat, simply microwave one or two cookies for 10-15 seconds each until warm and melty.
To store unbaked cookie dough, simply scoop into cookies, place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, and freeze.
After 3 hours, the dough should be hard enough to transfer to an airtight container or zip-top plastic bag. This cookie dough will last 1-2 months in the freezer.
To bake, simply remove your dough balls, defrost them on the counter for 30 minutes to 1 hour and bake as listed in the recipe card below.
Love Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies? Check these out:
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
These make such a great dessert or snack. And, they pack up nicely to deliver to friends. We loved these and hope you all do too! 🙂
The printable recipe card is down below!
Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Place butter into small pot over medium heat. After butter has melted, start swirling pot gently until it starts to brown and become fragrant. Once the butter is a golden amber color, take off the heat and pour into the bowl of a mixer.1/2 cup butter
- Pour in sugar and brown sugar. Stir. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape sides and stir again. Pour in all dry ingredients and stir slowly. Scrape sides and mix again briefly.1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Stir in chocolate chunks and stir by hand.2 oz semi sweet dark chocolate
- Scoop by the teaspoon into pans and bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack. Serve.