This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies are laced with tons of dark chocolate which takes them right over the top! They are similar to my Chocolate Chip Cookies but with brown butter and chocolate chunks instead of chips. So good, make a double batch!
Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies | Brown Butter?
Now, is there anything better than chocolate or butter? I submit that there is not. Well, maybe brown butter and dark chocolate. These Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies are simply regular chocolate chip cookies made with a few fancy ingredients. Brown butter cranks up the nutty flavor and dark chocolate makes these healthy!
HAHA…ya right. If only that were true.
Anyways, these are as simple as making any cookie and taste phenomenal fresh out of the oven. One of my husband’s new favorites!
Looking for even more chocolate chip cookie recipes? Check these out! Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix, and Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.
Main Ingredients Needed
Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies are filled with all the yummy fixings of a regular chocolate chip cookie. The only difference is the method! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Butter – this is toasted in a pan before being added to the dough.
- Sugar + Brown Sugar – for sweetness! Brown sugar to keep these cookies soft.
- Egg – for structure and texture.
- Vanilla – for flavor! (Use the pure stuff if you have it).
- Flour – this fills out the rest of the cookies.
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda – both are used for rise and softness.
- Dark Chocolate Chunks – feel free to use dark chocolate chips or chunks here. The important thing is that you use dark chocolate.
How to Make Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
For full details on how to make Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies, see the recipe card down below!
Step 1: Preheat Oven
Preheat oven. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat and set aside.
Step 2: Brown Butter
Place butter into a small pot over medium heat. After the butter has melted, start swirling the pot gently until it starts to brown and become fragrant. Once the butter is a golden amber color, take off the heat and pour into the bowl of a mixer.
Step 3: Make Dough
Pour in sugar and brown sugar. Stir. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape sides and stir again. Pour in all dry ingredients and stir slowly. Scrape sides and mix again briefly. Stir in dark chocolate chunks and stir by hand.
Step 4: Bake
Scoop by the teaspoon into pans and bake until lightly golden around the edges.
After a few minutes of cooling on the baking sheet, transfer to a cooling rack. I highly highly recommend eating these warm with lots of milk!
Since I love a soft cookie and do everything I can to bake these and keep them soft, I like to store them a certain way to ensure that work doesn’t go to waste. If you have leftover Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies, store the cooled cookies in an airtight container with a slice of plain sandwich bread resting on top. Store-bought white or whole wheat is perfect!
Cookies should stay fresh for 2 days and are passable after 3 days, though, who still has cookies sitting on their counter 3 days after they have made them? They don’t last that long at my house.
You can essentially make and freeze these Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies baked or unbaked. Here are the directions for both.
If you want to bake these in advance, follow the recipe instructions listed below and cool completely. Then store in an airtight container or zip-top plastic bags and freeze.
As long as they are in an airtight container, the cookies should last 1-2 months in the freezer.
To reheat, simply microwave one or two cookies for 10-15 seconds each until warmed and melty.
To store unbaked cookie dough, simply scoop into cookies, place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, and freeze.
After 3 hours, the dough should be hard enough to transfer to an airtight container or zip-top plastic bag. This cookie dough will last 1-2 months in the freezer.
To bake, simply remove your dough balls, defrost them on the counter for 30 minutes to 1 hour and bake as listed in the recipe card below.
Love Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies? Check these out:
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
These make such a great dessert or snack. And, they pack up nicely to deliver to friends. We loved these and hope you all do too! 🙂
The printable recipe card is down below!
Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Place butter into small pot over medium heat. After butter has melted, start swirling pot gently until it starts to brown and become fragrant. Once the butter is a golden amber color, take off the heat and pour into the bowl of a mixer.
- Pour in sugar and brown sugar. Stir. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape sides and stir again. Pour in all dry ingredients and stir slowly. Scrape sides and mix again briefly.
- Stir in chocolate chunks and stir by hand.
- Scoop by the teaspoon into pans and bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack. Serve.