Made with a ton of veggies and chicken this Chicken Tortilla Soup is healthy, filling, easy to make and downright delicious. Give it a try!
This Chicken Tortilla Soup does not taste like healthy food, even though it is and is packed with veggies. It tastes amazing and delicious. It’s ready to eat in a snap and your whole family will have seconds. Especially if there are tortilla chips crumbled into it and a little sour cream on top. That’s how my daughter takes it and that’s how I love it too. It’s my new favorite soup and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
What is Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Tortilla Soup is a classically Mexican dish that has a tomato and broth base. Typically it is filled with vegetables and chicken, though pork or turkey can also be used in place of the chicken. It is the perfect recipe to make if you have a few stale corn tortillas.
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This recipe just involves a ton of chopping and simmering. Nothing hard about it, but just takes a little time! Be sure to use fresh corn cut from the cob for an extra sweet crunch. Also, check out my crock pot version of this same soup. Equally delicious!
- Chop and saute all the vegetables in olive oil: onions, carrot, zucchini, garlic, corn on the cob.
- Add in beans, tomato sauce, chicken stock and spices.
- Bring soup to boil and reduce to simmer.
- Place chicken breasts into broth to poach in cooking liquid for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken, shred and return to soup pot.
- Cut corn tortillas into strips and add to soup. Cook another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, sour cream, tortilla strips, cheese and avocado.
Cooking the Chicken for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Instead of using separate cutting boards and knives for the chicken and cutting it before cooking, I like using tongs and sliding the whole chicken breasts right into the pot to poach. After 20 minutes or so, the chicken should be completely cooked and be easy to shred or cut.
Slide the completely cooked chicken back into the pot and finish with the tortillas. SO much easier than messing with raw chicken!
How to thicken Chicken Tortilla Soup
The broth in chicken tortilla soup is flavorful and delicious and a big reason it’s so good is because the corn tortillas you stir in end up dissolving and becoming part of the soup and slightly thickening the broth, while adding a delicious corn flavor.
If you’d like a thicker soup, try stirring in a little masa (the corn flour used for making corn tortillas).
Best toppings for this soup
I love loading my soup up with all.the.toppings. and I think all the goodies on top of this soup are what make this extra special. Plus, it’s a great way to please a crowd…handing out bowls of chicken tortilla soup and then being able to customize them how you’d like. Here are my favorites:
- grated cheese
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- cojita cheese
- crispy tortilla strips/tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- sliced black olives
- diced red onion
More recipes you’ll love:
- Mexican Pork— great for tacos or burritos
- Mexican Street Corn Casserole
- Mexican Street Corn
- Amazing Pico de Gallo
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Basic Salsa Recipe
- Amazing Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Tortilla Soup: Healthy and Delicious!
This is my new go-to soup because it’s healthy, filling, easy to make and downright delicious. I love the taste of this soup and don’t feel the least guilt eating two bowls. Ok, ok THREE bowls. Try it out soon and let me know what you all think. This is totally my kind of food and it’s been pushed to the top of my weekly dinner menu–that’s how much I love it.
Save, pin, print, bookmark this recipe because it’s a good one!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 2 ears sweet corn cut off the cob, or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 15 oz. black beans 1 can drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. cannellini beans 1 can drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. tomato sauce 1 can
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts
- 5 corn tortillas cut into strips
- fresh cilantro if desired
- chips if desired
- sour cream if desired
- avocado etc., if desired
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini, and corn in olive oil to soften slightly 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce, spices, chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and place whole chicken breasts into soup. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked completely. Remove from pot, shred and return to soup.
- Stir in tortilla strips and cook another 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with any desired toppings.