This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you happen to run out of eggs, never fear! You can still make some amazing baked Carrot Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting! Turns out, I don’t need no stinkin’ eggs! These cake donuts are moist, fluffy and hold together like a champ…even without eggs! My Carrot Cake Donuts are a nod to the The Best Carrot Cake Recipe. So delicious! Top it off with a little (or a lot) cream cheese frosting and no one will know you’re a hot mess. Except for when they look at you. Then it’s game over.
Carrot Cake Donuts|With Cream Cheese Frosting
The other day, I ran out of eggs so I added it to my grocery list…like any normal person would do. Then I actually went to the store and forgot to get them. Pretty sure I walked by the dairy aisle 14 times without thinking twice about it. I also forgot bread, green peppers and goldfish crackers that trip too. Oh, and I constantly forget to get razor refills too.
Anyways, when I went to make this recipe yesterday, guess what smart, blonde, pregnant lady got half way through without thinking she had no eggs? So, I adapted it to be eggless. I’m so quick on my feet. 😉
Main Ingredients Needed
This Carrot Cake Donut recipe is an easy baked donut that you’ll want to make again and again! Start out by gathering these ingredients:
- Brown sugar– used to sweeten the batter.
- Canola oil– oil keeps the carrot cake donuts nice and moist. Any light colored oil will work like vegetable or grapeseed oil.
- Milk– this base mixes with white vinegar to make homemade buttermilk.
- White Vinegar– the acid to the milk mixture.
- Vanilla– a classic ingredient that adds a subtle vanilla flavor
- Flour– helps add structure.
- Baking soda + baking powder– these are leavening agents used in this recipe.
- Salt– balances out all of the other flavors.
- Cinnamon + nutmeg– a couple of warm spices that work well together and compliment the carrots.
- Carrots– grated! These are carrot cake donuts, after all. 🙂
For the Frosting:
- Butter– softened. If you use unsalted butter just add a pinch of salt later.
- Cream cheese – softened. This is where all of that delicious tangy cream cheese flavor comes from.
- Powdered sugar– to sweeten and help thicken.
- Vanilla– for flavoring!
How To Make Carrot Cake Donuts|Directions
Here are the step by step directions to make Carrot Cake Donuts. Scroll down for the printable recipe card.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Step 2: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl, stir brown sugar and oil together. In a separate bowl, stir milk, vinegar and vanilla together and set aside. The vinegar will help with the whole no egg situation.
Step 3: Combine Dry Ingredients
In another bowl, stir flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together until combined.
Step 4: Combine Wet & Dry With Oil Mixture
Alternate whisking wet and dry ingredients into the sugar and oil mixture. Once batter forms and all ingredients are incorporated, stir in carrot.
Step 5: Bake
Divide evenly between 8 doughnut cavities in pan and bake! Feel free to lick out the bowl because that’s right! NO EGGS, ya’ll! Cool 5 minutes in pan, then invert pan and remove. Set aside to cool completely.
Step 6: Make Frosting
For frosting, whip butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
Step 7: Add Frosting
Once doughnuts are cool, frost with cream cheese frosting. Serve.
Storing Carrot Cake Donuts
Carrot Cake Donuts will retain their fresh taste for 3-4 days, in an airtight container at room temperature.
Love Carrot Cake? Try These Recipes…
- The Best Carrot Cake Recipe
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Carrot Cake Protein Bites
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins….Yes Please!
- Carrot Cake Cobbler
We LOVED these and gobbled them right up! These would be a fun breakfast treat on Easter morning! Below is the printable recipe card. Be sure to print/pin/save/bookmark/share this recipe! Enjoy, friends! 🙂
Carrot Cake Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir brown sugar and oil together. In a separate bowl, stir milk, vinegar and vanilla together and set aside.
- In another bowl, stir flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together until combined.
- Alternate whisking wet and dry ingredients into the sugar and oil mixture. Once batter forms and all ingredients are incorporated, stir in carrot.
- Divide evenly between 8 donut cavities in pan and bake 10-12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, then invert pan and remove. Set aside to cool 20 minutes.
- For frosting, whip butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
- Once donuts are cool, frost with cream cheese frosting. Serve.