What a night I had! My poor little girl is sick, so she was coughing, sneezing and crying all through the night. I got up with her a lot and gave her medicine, wiped her nose, gave her some water to drink, etc. Usually I hate it when I can’t get enough sleep, but since my sweet daughter was so cuddly with me, I loved it! She is a very independent child, so snuggling and cuddling is rare. I’m tired today, but it was worth it! Oh, and also something strange– in between the times I got up with the little one, I had some VERY strange dreams. I’d wake up and think “what the heck was that?!” And, obviously dreams are weird, but mine were way out there! Needless to say it was a very interesting night. So, please excuse this late post. 🙂
These Peanut Butter & Pomegranate Jelly Bars are a recipe I made up for a company that asked me to do a guest post on their blog. It is for a local fruit company that sells delicious fruit & fruit baskets. They found out about me and contacted me to see if I’d be interested! So, I said yes! Anyways, I wanted to share this recipe with you before it goes live on their site, and because they are yummy and a little different because I used pomegranate arils.
These are, simply put, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but in a dessert form! You make a peanut butter cookie dough, press it into the bottom of a square pan, top it with some pomegranate jelly and then sprinkle on the last of the cookie dough. The hardest part would be making the jelly–but honestly, it only takes 4 ingredients and maybe 5 minutes to cook. Super simple and festive for the season! So, next time pomegranates go on sale, give these a try! They make a delicious treat that everyone will gobble up!
Peanut Butter & Pomegranate Jelly Bars
- For the pomegranate jelly-
- ½ cups Granulated Sugar
- ¼ cups Cornstarch
- ½ cups Cold Water
- 3 cups Pomegranate ArilsFor the peanut butter cookie base-
- ¼ cups Butter Softened
- ⅔ cups Smooth Peanut Butter
- ¾ cups Granulated Sugar
- ¼ cups Brown Sugar
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1-½ cup All-purpose Flour
- For the pomegranate jelly: In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in cold water until smooth. Stir in pomegranate arils and place over medium heat. Use a potato masher to break arils while heating. This should take around 5 minutes. Bring mixture to a boil to thicken. Remove from heat and strain jelly to make it seedless. Set aside to cool. As the jelly cools, it should thicken more.
- To make the bars: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whip butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Stir in sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Slowly incorporate all dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of a greased 8×8 square pan. Top with cooled pomegranate jelly. Break up remaining 1/3 of peanut butter dough into small pieces and sprinkle evenly to top the bars. Bake for 35 minutes or until top has browned lightly. Remove and cool completely before serving.