This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Salted Nutella Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies are warm peanut butter cookies, stuffed with Nutella and sprinkled with a little salt.
Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
I’m not sure there is any food combination I love more than peanut butter and chocolate. It’s a classic that never ever gets old in my books. See this Reese’s Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe or these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies or these peanut butter chocolate chip bars for further proof. Today, I’m sharing with you a super simple, 5 ingredient (naturally gluten-free!) Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies recipe that will blow your freaking mind. Following the step-by-step instructions below, you will only need a handful of ingredients to form the dough. Scoop them onto a cookie sheet and bake for a few minutes. Then stick a thumb (or the end of a spatula!) into each warm cookie to create a well and fill with Nutella, which also miraculously happens to be gluten-free. I’m a big-time gluten enjoyer but know there are lots of delicious gluten-free recipes out there and this happens to be one of them. An optional last step is to sprinkle with some sea salt to get an extra added salty/sweet finish which I LOVE.
Main Ingredients Needed
Basically, you should have most, if not all, the ingredients to make these today! Or tomorrow. I’m not picky. Here’s what you’ll need to make these Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies:
- Natural Peanut Butter – I like to use chunky natural peanut butter for this recipe for a nice added crunch and some structure since I don’t use flour.
- Granulated + Brown Sugar – both are used to sweeten!
- Egg – this adds all the structure these cookies need.
- Vanilla – to flavor.
- Nutella – this is stuffed into the middle of each thumbprint cookie. Alternatively you could use strawberry jam!
- Sea Salt – this is optional but highly recommended, I just love that salty sweet combo.
How to Make Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
For full details on how to make these Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies, see the recipe card down below 🙂
Step 1: Preheat + Prep
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
Step 2: Make Cookie Dough
In large bowl, stir peanut butter together with sugar, egg and vanilla until combined.
Step 3: Scoop, Bake + Cool
Scoop onto prepared baking sheet using cookie scoop. Bake 10 minutes, until cookies have slightly flattened and are not shiny. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on baking sheet.
Step 4: Indent, Fill + Sprinkle
Press thumb into the center of the warm cookie or use the back of a utensil to create an indentation. Spoon in 1/2 teaspoon nutella into hole and sprinkle with sea salt.
Now, bite into a warm one and let the nutella ooze, baby! And just like that, my husband can’t live without me.
Storing Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
These cookies don’t need to be stored in the fridge however, you should cover these well. Store at room temperature for up to 5 days. Odds are they won’t last that long because they are *that* good!
As for freezing, I wouldn’t recommend freezing Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies. Since there isn’t any flour in these to give the cookies more structure they are prone to texture changes when frozen and thawed.
More Peanut Butter Cookies to Try!
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Toffee Cookies
- Peanut Butter Caramel Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
- Reese’s Pieces Cookies
These were so amazing, you guys. Make these asap!
The printable recipe card is down below 🙂
Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In large bowl, stir peanut butter together with sugar, egg and vanilla until combined.
- Scoop onto prepared baking sheet using cookie scoop. Bake 10 minutes, until cookies have slightly flattened and are not shiny. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on baking sheet.
- Press thumb into the center of the warm cookie or use the back of a utensil to create an indentation. Spoon in 1/2 teaspoon nutella into hole and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve.