This easy Shrimp Scampi recipe is ready in under 30 minutes! Tossed with a garlic butter scampi sauce made with white wine and lemon.
Shrimp Scampi is a simple recipe that is packed full of flavor. The white wine and lemon in the scampi sauce add freshness and depth while the linguine holds the sauce and makes this dish a meal worthy of dinner time. Pair with steamed/baked vegetables and bread.
But first, what is Shrimp Scampi?
Shrimp Scampi is an Italian-American dish that includes serving cooked shrimp with a garlic butter sauce. The shrimp can either be served alone or on top of pasta but for this recipe, we are going with pasta to make it a full-fledged meal. Fun fact, the United States has a National Shrimp Scampi day on April 29th each year, so why not plan ahead and join in on the celebrations!
Shrimp Scampi Recipe
This is a super easy shrimp scampi recipe that only calls for 9 ingredients and can be done in about 30 minutes or less. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Olive Oil and Butter – this mixture is used to cook the shrimp. Butter alone has a lower smoke point so it turns brown faster, but with olive oil mixed in you’re able to get the same flavor without the worry of burning.
- Garlic – minced. For flavor!
- White Wine – this ingredient is also used in the scampi sauce, but if you are looking for a non-alcoholic option you can always use chicken broth.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste.
- Shrimp – I used large shrimp that had 21-25 per pound. Feel free to use whatever size you’d like! The smaller shrimp will take less time to cook, the larger shrimp will take longer.
- Linguine – to save time, try to have this going while the shrimp are cooking.
- Parsley – chopped. To garnish.
- Lemon – spritzing a bit of lemon juice to the top of this really takes it to the next level.
Shrimp Scampi Sauce is made up of the olive oil/butter mixture, the flavor coming from the cooked shrimp, garlic, white wine, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. The result is a buttery garlic sauce with a hint of freshness. Plus the white wine gives it a lot of depth.
How to Make Shrimp Scampi
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add in minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the wine and simmer until it has reduced by half.
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Add to pan and cook until they are opaque and pink on both sides. It should be about 90 seconds per side.
- Add in hot pasta and toss to coat, adding in reserved pasta water as needed to create a sauce. Toss shrimp scampi with parsley and add in lemon juice to taste. Serve hot.
Store leftover shrimp scampi in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply warm in the microwave using 50% power to avoid drying out the shrimp. Also, adding in a splash of water will help keep moisture in the reheated dish.
More 30 Minute Meals to Try!
If you loved how quick this meal was, check out these other 30 Minute Meals.
The printable recipe card is below, make sure to pin it, print it, or bookmark it to save this recipe for your dinner needs! Have a great day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic about 3 cloves
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable/chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined (21/25 count)*
- 3/4 pound linguine plus reserved pasta water
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add in minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in wine and simmer until it has reduced by half.
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Add to pan and cook until they are opaque and pink on both sides. Should be about 90 seconds per side.
- Add in hot pasta and toss to coat, adding in reserved pasta water as needed to create a sauce. Toss with parsley and add in lemon juice to taste. Serve hot.