This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Strawberry Cream Cake recipe is based on my Homemade Vanilla Cake and is the perfect creamy dessert for summer! Light, refreshing, and sweet enough to satisfy any craving!
Summer is Strawberry Season
You guys are just going to DIE when you try this Homemade Strawberry Cream Cake. A few months ago, I had a version of a similar cake and I’ve been dreaming of making my own ever since…but bigger and better! I was at the store and saw some amazing strawberries that I couldn’t pass up. Strawberries are in season and I can tell by how big, juicy and naturally sweet they are…perfect for a cake!
Tips for Success with Homemade Strawberry Cream Cake
- Use my Vanilla Cake Recipe or one of your favorites. I also have a vegan cake recipe!
- Use fresh strawberries! Frozen strawberries won’t work as well or taste as good in this recipe. You can also sub out strawberries for any kind of berry that is in season and still have a delicious cake!
- Feel free to add a few drops of red food coloring to the frosting to make it a lovely pink color. (Totally optional!)
- Wait until the vanilla cake layers have cooled completely before adding the frosting.
- Make homemade whipped cream! It tastes 1000% better than store bought and super simple. Here is my ultimate whipped cream guide.
How to Make Strawberry Cream Cake
This strawberry cake is fairly simple to make! Bake the cake then cool, whip up the strawberries and cream frosting then layer and frost. Refrigerate then voila! For the full recipe check out the recipe card down below.
Make the Vanilla Cake
Start by making the cake. My vanilla cake recipe has very simple ingredients that you likely have on hand already.
Once the cakes are baked thoroughly, I popped them out of the pans to cool completely. Hot cake + whipped cream = melty mess. Be patient, and wait it out.
Once they’re cool, slice them both down the middle to create 4 layers.
Make the Whipped Cream Frosting
Ok, now comes the fun part! Whip heavy whipping cream with vanilla and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
Divide the cream in half and set aside to use for frosting the outside of the cake. Take the other half of the whipped cream and mix with diced fresh strawberries.
Fill the Layers of the Cake
Layer your cake using the strawberries and cream as the filling.
Frost the Cake
Frost the whole thing using the plain whipped cream set aside earlier. Then take a few extra berries and decorate the top of the strawberry cake.
Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight to set completely (so it will cut nicely). Slice and serve.
Nothing hard about this cake at all. And you can see that I purposely didn’t smooth the sides. I love the look of an unperfected cake.
Storing Leftover Strawberry Cream Cake
Any leftover strawberry cream cake can be kept in the fridge, covered for up to 5 days. I would finish it sooner rather than later though. Perfect to enjoy cold on a hot summer day. 🙂
More Strawberry Recipes to Love!
- Summer Strawberry Jello Pie
- Strawberry Mint Limeade
- Nutella Deviled Strawberries
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Cheesecake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
More Favorites from Lauren’s Latest
I love love loved this strawberry cream cake. It was fresh, creamy, cold, sweet, light and refreshing. So amazing and overall pretty impressive looking for minimal work. Try it out this weekend! I’m pretty positive you’ll fall in love with this cake too!
Printable recipe below! Have a wonderful weekend, friends! xo
What others are saying about this Recipe:
“I made this today for my friends bridal shower! It turned out AMAZING. I got some many compliments and the entire cake was gone in an hour. It was so moist and not too sweet. Perfect for a summer event. Thank you so much!” ~ Taylor
“I made this cake yesterday and it is so delicious!” ~ Candi
“I made this cake and my dad said it was the best cake he’s ever had. That’s a big compliment! It was so summery and fresh! Who doesn’t love strawberries and cream?? Thanks for the recipe!” ~ Maya
“Made this for the second time a few weeks ago, this time for my daughter’s birthday. It was delicious, as always!” ~ Lindsay
“I made this for my mom who loves anything reminiscent of strawberry short cake. This Strawberry Cake recipe is FLAWLESS. One of the best cakes I’ve ever tasted.” ~ Calix
Homemade Strawberry Cream Cake Recipe
- Make vanilla cake according to recipe. Cool completely. Slice cakes in half lengthwise to create 4 layers.
- Whip heavy cream with vanilla and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Remove half of the cream and set aside. Stir diced strawberries into the remaining cream.
- Place one layer of cake onto a serving platter. Spread 1/3 of the strawberries and cream filling overtop. Add another layer of cake and continue layering until all 4 layers are in tact. If filling looks like it's being pushed out from the sides of the cake, simply scrape the edges to even everything out. Frost the entire cake with remaining plain whipped cream. Top with sliced strawberries as a garnish.
- Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight to set completely (so it will cut nicely). Slice and serve.