This Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe is a delicious and quick way to whip up an Italian dinner. You only need three ingredients and 10 minutes to make the best Homemade Alfredo Sauce ever!
Is there anything better than Homemade Alfredo Sauce? I’ve bought the jarred kind for years because it’s shelf-stable and ready when you are, but this homemade alfredo sauce recipe is SO significantly better than store-bought, only made with three ingredients and is so easy to make! It is a decadent dinner that I only make once or twice a year because it is so dangerously good. My kids love these “white sauce noodles” and I know you will too.
But first, what is Alfredo Sauce?
Alfredo Sauce is an Italian white sauce made of heavy cream, butter, parmesan cheese and occasionally garlic. It’s a decadent sauce that is a huge crowd-pleaser.
Alfredo Sauce Ingredients
Alfredo Sauce is the most basic and easy of Italian pasta sauces. It is so simple you probably already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen right now! But if you don’t get your shopping list ready so you can make this recipe pronto. Alfredo Sauce is made of:
- Butter – if you like salt, use salted butter, if not, go with unsalted. Either works just fine and you can adjust the salt level later in the recipe.
- Heavy Cream – this is not half & half! This ingredient can also be named Heavy Whipping Cream. This is the main ingredient that makes this alfredo recipe so creamy.
- Parmesan Cheese – quality matters with parmesan cheese. Use higher-quality kind and freshly grate it yourself. After recipe testing this recipe over and over I know that the store-bought pre-shredded kind does not work as well as the real kind.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste. Add as much or as little as you like!
How to Make Alfredo Sauce
How to make Alfredo Sauce is super easy and quick so just follow these steps and you’ll have dinner ready in no time! And if you are looking for a video tutorial, scroll down to the recipe card for a super helpful how-to.
- Melt your butter into a large skillet. I like using salted butter, but unsalted works just fine.
- Whisk in some heavy cream and heat gently with the butter.
- Reduce the heat and slowly melt in the parmesan cheese until a thicker, creamy sauce forms. Add in pepper and taste before adding in salt.
- Toss with desired pasta and serve. I used fettuccine because that’s such a classic choice, but any pasta is fine.
If you want to go one step further and brown the butter for another layer of flavor you HAVE to check out my Browned Butter Alfredo Pasta. And if you’re more of a tomato sauce kind of person, try my Lasagna, my Crockpot Bolognese or my Crockpot Italian Chicken Pasta. All delicious!
Can you Freeze Homemade Alfredo Sauce?
No. I would not recommend freezing this Alfredo Sauce Recipe. I know so many of you readers love making foods in advance or making double the recipe and freezing half for a quick weeknight meal later. Alfredo sauce made the traditional way with just butter, cream and cheese isn’t very stable and has a tendency to separate once it starts to cool. (Anyone who has ordered a Fettuccine Alfredo from Olive Garden and brought home the leftovers will know that you have a buttery, sloppy mess the next day when you try to microwave it for lunch the next day.) I would recommend making this sauce fresh, from scratch, every time.
If you make an Alfredo Sauce with a roux (butter and flour), that will make your overall sauce more ‘stable’ and it will become more freezer-friendly. But this recipe, as-is will not freeze well. Sorry!
Other Sauce Uses
Not only can this sauce be used for pasta but it is also great on pizza, as a dipping sauce for breadsticks or even over parmesan chicken. This recipe is thick and creamy which makes it perfect for all your carb-loading needs.
Or if you want/need some vegetables in your life, try sprucing them up with this sauce.
Perfect Side Dishes for Alfredo Pasta:
- That Good Salad
- The Best Caprese Salad
- Colorful Carrot Salad
- The Monica Salad
- Hasselback Garlic Cheesy Bread
So, if you’re in the mood for pasta tonight, be sure to try this simple and delicious Alfredo sauce Recipe. Grab the printable recipe below to save because it’s a special one you won’t want to lose. And don’t forget to check out the video for how to make this alfredo sauce recipe! Have a great day, friends!
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese use the real stuff
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed deep skillet over medium heat. Once butter is completely melted reduce heat to medium-low and immediately pour in the cream. Pan may sizzle, but as you stir it will subside. Whisk in cheese and continue stirring until cheese is completely melted and sauce is smooth. Taste and add in salt and lots of pepper, as desired.
- Use sauce immediately by tossing with hot pasta and serving right away. If it sits, the sauce tends to thicken up, so add in a splash of pasta water to keep things loose.