This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
You have to give this White Chicken Chili a try! It is creamy, a little spicy, filling, and filled with nutrition. Make a big pot, serve with rice and it will seem bottomless. The perfect meal for a crowd on a cold evening. If Simple Chili isn’t your thing, I bet you will love this white chicken chili.
White Chili vs Regular Chili…What’s the Difference?
White Chili is made with chicken instead of beef, and without a tomato base. White beans and lots of delicious spices are used instead of chili beans or pinto beans. Both have amazing flavors!
A few tips for success with this White Bean Chili
To make this white chicken chili the best that it can be, here are a few tips I have found helpful.
- Low Fat Milk – I use low-fat milk to keep this recipe “skinny”, but 1/2 cup of half and half (or heavy cream) is also AMAZING!! If you can find the fat free half and half, get that!
- White Beans – Great Northern Beans or Cannellini are a great option. 2 whole cans of this stuff! And if you are vegetarian, skip out on the chicken and just add another can of beans.
- Sweet Corn – drained. You could also use frozen or fresh corn here. Consider grilling fresh corn for a charred flavor. Plus it looks gorgeous.
- Chicken Breasts – cooked and shredded. I had started cooking a bunch of chicken in my pressure cooker, just to have something on hand. Rotisserie chicken or previously cooked/roasted chicken works well too! If you have raw chicken, simply throw the whole chicken breasts into the mixture to cook during step 4, before you add the milk. Simmer for about 15 minutes, then remove, shred, and finish the recipe.
- Watch the Temperature– Just as a side note, you don’t want your pot screaming hot-you want things to cook gently so that they don’t get too brown….unless you want brown chicken chili. We want WHITE chicken chili, so I take it easy on the temperature. I mean, either way, it’ll still be delicious, but I know you’re going to have questions!
How to Make White Chicken Chili
I love a simple and fast recipe and White Chicken Chili is exactly what that is! You only need about 10 minutes of active work before you have dinner done.
Sauté Onions and Garlic
In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil over medium-low heat until soft and translucent. Add in mushrooms (totally optional) and cook another minute.
Sprinkle in Flour
Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir. Cook 2 minutes. Raise temperature to medium-medium high. Slowly stream chicken broth into the pot, whisking as you go. Continue stirring until the sauce has boiled and thickened. Reduce heat to low.
Add in Remaining Ingredients
Stir in salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and cinnamon. Then add in milk, beans, corn, and chicken. Warm through.
Serve over rice with any desired toppings.
White Chicken Chili Toppings
Just like any chili recipe, what makes it to die for are all the tasty toppings! These are some of our favorites for white chicken chili.
- grated white cheddar or pepper jack
- crushes tortilla chips (or doritos…yum!)
- diced tomatoes
- fresh or pickled jalapenos
- sour cream
- diced red onion
Serving White Chicken Chili with rice is optional, but definitely stretches the meal if you’re trying to feed a big family or stretch a dollar. Another great and classic option is to go with cornbread. If you’re not really feeling the whole side dish thing, that’s fine too because this white chili recipe is great on its own too.
Any leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave in intervals until heated through. White Chicken Chili makes a warm and comforting meal for the next day. However, I do not recommend freezing this recipe. This is just because all of the dairy products have a hard time freezing then thawing.
More Chili Recipes to Love!
Don’t forget to print, pin, bookmark or save this recipe. It’s a really good one! The printable recipe card is below. Enjoy, friends! 🙂
White Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup low fat milk*
- 2 cans white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can sweet corn drained
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded**
- Any desired toppings: avocado, diced tomato, cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges, tortilla chips
- In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until softened and translucent, about 7 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook another minute.***
- Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir. Cook 2 minutes. Raise temperature to medium-medium high. Slowly stream chicken broth into the pot, whisking as you go. Continue stirring until the sauce has boiled and thickened. Reduce heat to low.
- Add in spices, milk, beans, corn, and chicken.
- At this point, the chili is done! Do not boil it once the milk has been added.
- Serve with brown rice (optional) and any desired toppings.