This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This classic Blue Cheese Burger is big, hot and juicy off the grill and can be made start to finish in about 20 minutes! Perfect for summer barbecues. Looking for a healthier burger option? Try my Greek Turkey Burger or Ranch Turkey Burgers.
Perfect for Summer Grilling
Man, do I love a good burger and this Blue Cheese Burger (or Bleu Cheese if you’re faaaaancy) will not disappoint! Or this could be called a Blue Cheese BACON Burger if you add bacon, like me. Sometimes you just gotta give into those cravings. Speaking of bacon, have you tried cooking it in the oven? It’s one of my most loved methods for bacon. You can see How to Cook Bacon in the Oven here.
Get Juicy Burgers Every Time
Here are a few rules I like to live by in order to get and keep a juicy burger.
- Start with good quality meat! This sort of seems like a “duh” tip, but it makes such a difference! For best results, use 1 pound of grass-fed 80/20 ground chuck. The fat content will add not only moisture, but great flavor as well.
- Add minimal salt to your meat mixture, and then salt burgers right before they come off the grill. Salt draws out moisture, so if you salt the meat ahead of time, it will work against you!
- Form even, wide patties for quick and even cooking versus smaller, thicker patties.
- While grilling, don’t press on or try to flatten your burger. This is the exact reason why thermometers were invented! You are getting rid of all that moisture every time you press on your burgers! Yes, it helps you see if your burger has clear juices running through it, but it also defeats the purpose of maintaining the moisture in the meat. This digital thermometer would be good to have.
- Preheat your grill to moderate heat. You don’t want your grill blazing away over the high heat. ROOKIE MISTAKE! The outside will be nearly black by the time the inside is even close to being cooked. Keep your heat even and on medium.
- Use Residual Heat. Cook burgers on the one side, flip, then cook briefly on the other. Turn the grill off and let them finish cooking in the residual heat with the lid closed. It seems a little odd, but it helps keep things extra moist and that’s the whole point of this list.
Common Burger Toppings to Consider
When it comes to toppings on a good burger, the sky is the limit. I prefer the usual lettuce, tomato, mayo. This burger recipe calls for BBQ sauce in the meat mixture! Yum! Here are some other topping ideas you might try.
- Grilled Mushrooms
- Caramelized Onions
- Onion rings
A Note About Buns
There are a ton of different hamburger buns out there. I opted for a potato bread buns, which are soft and full of flavor. Consider toasting it for a slight crunch too! If you have a favorite bun that you already use, feel free to use that instead.
How To Make Blue Cheese Burgers
This Blue Cheese Burger is really easy to whip up. It was probably 20 minutes from start to finish. Cook the bacon, cook the burgers and then put everything together. And, let me tell you that burgers are so delicious when made with BBQ sauce. Perfect for summer barbecues. You’ll find the full printable recipe card down below.
In a large skillet, cook bacon to personal preference. Remove and drain on paper towels. Pour off excess bacon grease leaving 1 tablespoon. If you want to try cooking the bacon in the oven, I highly recommend it!
Mix Ground Chuck + Onion + BBQ Sauce
In a large bowl, mix ground chuck ( I used 80/20, but use what you prefer or can find), minced onion, BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper until well combined. Divide into 6 equal patties that are 1/2 inch thick.
Turn skillet up to medium-high heat.
Cook or Grill Burgers
Cook burgers for 3 minutes then flip and top with blue cheese crumbles. Cover and cook for 2 more minutes or until the burgers have reached 160 degrees F.
If you’re grilling these burgers, see the section below about grilling the perfect burgers. You’ll never grill differently ever again!
Assemble Burgers + Serve
To assemble, spread mayonnaise on one half of the bun, and top with lettuce, cooked burger, and bacon.
How to Grill the Best Grilled Burgers
Once you try grilling burgers this way, you’ll never go back to your old ways. Promise.
Place each burger onto the preheated grill. Cook 3 minutes per side.
Add blue cheese crumbles to each patty, cover, and cook 1 minute.
Turn off Grill + Continue to Cook
Turn grill off and then continue cooking another 3 minutes or until burgers register 160 degrees F.
What Should I Serve with Blue Cheese Burgers?
Here are a few ideas to serve as a side dish with Blue Cheese Burgers:
- Air Fryer French Fries – have you jumped on the air fryer band wagon yet? Amazing fries every time!
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries – get crispy, perfect sweet potato fries every time!
- My Grandma’s Potato Salad – cold potato salad tastes so much better on a hot day.
- Caesar Salad – a cool, crisp salad is always welcome.
- Macaroni Salad – classic side dish welcome at any summer BBQ.
Storing Leftover Blue Cheese Burgers
Cooked hamburger tends to last in the fridge for 4-5 days before it dries out. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag. I’d suggest assembling these blue cheese burgers when you are ready to serve!
More Burger Recipes to Try!
- The Best Homemade Burger Recipe
- Green Chile Cheeseburger
- Greek Burgers
- Onion Ring Burgers
- Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders
I hope you love these and make them this weekend! Make these at your next get-together with friends! The printable recipe card is below. Enjoy, friends! 🙂
Blue Cheese Burger
- 1 lb ground chuck 80/20
- 1/4 cup onion finely minced
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- salt + pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4-1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 6 whole wheat rolls
- In large skillet, cook bacon to personal preference. Remove and drain on paper towels. Pour off excess bacon grease leaving 1 tablespoon.
- In large bowl, mix ground chuck, onion, BBQ sauce, salt and pepper until well combined. Divide into 6 equal patties that are 1/2 inch thick. Turn skillet up to medium high heat.
- Cook burgers 3 minutes then flip and top with blue cheese crumbles. Cover and cook 2 more minutes.
- To assemble, cut rolls in half, spread mayonnaise on one half of the bun and top with lettuce, cooked burger and bacon. Party in your mouth.