This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Macro Friendly Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef 96/4
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce I used Kroger brand
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 oz shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix I used Kroger brand
- 1/3 cup long grain white rice I used uncle Ben's
- Preheat large pot over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and add olive oil. Add onion, ground beef, salt and pepper. Break apart the beef as it cooks and browns.
- Once beef is fully cooked and onions are tender, add in garlic and cook another 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in beef stock, tomato sauce, bay leaves, shredded cabbage, rice and more salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer stirring frequently until it comes to a boil to prevent rice from sticking and scorching at the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Taste, adjust seasonings and serve.