This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
With an Oreo crust and Nutella topping, these Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes are simple and easy to make – though you won’t be able to tell by their decadent taste! Perfect for Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or any day!
Easy Red Velvet Oreo Cheesecake
If you love cheesecake, then these mini red velvet cheesecakes are THE Valentine’s Day dessert for you! Inspired by my Halloween mini cheesecakes, these red velvet cheesecakes are little bite-sized delights. And they could not be easier to make!
I used a double chocolate Oreo for the base then added a touch of cocoa powder, vanilla, and red food coloring to the cheesecake batter for the red velvet look and flavor. Then, once it’s all baked and cooled, I added some Nutella just before serving. These are tasty, extra chocolatey little devils!
Mini cheesecakes are so much easier to make than the full-sized version and this red velvet cheesecake filling is super simple, so this is a great place to start is you’ve ever felt intimidated by cheesecakes! Perfection is far less important here because there’s less risk of the cheesecake cracking and the cooling process is easier too.
Whether it’s to share with your special someone, your friends, your kids, or just for yourself, I definitely recommend giving these mini red velvet Oreo cheesecake a try. They’re perfect for Valentine’s Day but just as delicious year-round!
What You’ll Need
You only need 8 simple ingredients to make these cute Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes (and I bet you have most of them already)! Here’s what you need:
- Double Chocolate Oreos – Valentine’s Day is all about the chocolate right? Feel free to use normal Oreos if you can’t find the chocolatey ones.
- Cream Cheese – Adds the tangy creamy goodness.
- Sugar – Balances out the tangy flavor just a bit.
- Cocoa Powder + Vanilla – Adds the chocolate and vanilla flavor, which makes the filling taste a bit more like red velvet.
- Egg – Helps to hold everything together.
- Food Coloring – Creates the beautiful red color! Try to find a food coloring that has little to no flavor for best results.
- Nutella – This is heated up and spread over the cheesecakes, feel free to drizzle this on too! Or if you are looking for a nut-free option just melt some chocolate chips.
How to Make Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes
With just a few ingredients and an Oreo used as the crust, these mini cheesecakes are much easier than a traditional cheesecake while still being oh-so-good.
- Prepare the batter. Whip together the cream cheese and sugar. Then stir in the cocoa, vanilla, egg, and red food coloring until smooth. Line the cupcake pans with liner and place an Oreo in each one. Spoon the cheesecake batter over the Oreos until the cups are 2/3 full.
- Bake. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the batter is set completely. Cool to room temperature and then place in the fridge.
- Top with Nutella and serve. When you’re ready to serve, warm the Nutella in the microwave to make it easier to spread. Spread a spoonful over each mini cheesecake. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Success
Here are some tips to help you surprise your someone special (or, you know, your kids) with the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert.
- Use Philadelphia cream cheese. I always, always use Philadephia cream cheese when making my cheesecakes. It has just the perfect level of tang plus it’s super creamy as well.
- Use room temperature ingredients. The egg and cream cheese should both be at room temperature, which will make it much easier to make combine the filling.
- Tap out the air bubbles. While cracking isn’t such a huge concern when making mini cheesecakes, I still recommend tapping the bowl with the filling on the counter several times before spooning it over the Oreos.
- Real vanilla is a must. In a recipe with so few ingredients, you really taste the flavor of each one. For that reason, I definitely recommend using pure vanilla instead of imitation vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature first. While the cheesecake does need to chill, allow it to cool to room temperature first. This helps prevent any cracking that may happen.
Other Topping Ideas
While I think that the Nutella really puts these mini red velvet cheesecakes over the top, if Nutella just isn’t your thing, here are some other topping ideas:
- Chocolate ganache
- Whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Crushed Oreos (on top of the whipped cream)
- Hot fudge sauce
- Melted chocolate chips
Can I Make This in Advance?
One of my favorite things about cheesecakes, whether these mini cheesecakes or any others, is that they’re perfect for making in advance. In fact, you basically have to make them in advance since they need to cool and chill before serving!
These mini red velvet cheesecakes will last in the fridge for up to 5 days. I recommend making them no more than 2 days in advance before serving. Keep them tightly wrapped in plastic to prevent them from drying out.
Can I Freeze Mini Cheesecakes?
Yes, these mini red velvet Oreo cheesecakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. Allow them to chill fully in the fridge, then wrap each one in parchment paper and foil. Place in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the fridge then top with Nutella and enjoy!
More Red Velvet Recipes to Try!
- Red Velvet Cake
- Red Velvet Nanaimo Bars
- Homemade Red Velvet Oreos
- Red Velvet Donuts
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cookies
More Mini Cheesecake Recipes:
- Brownie Batter Cheesecakes
- Mini White Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Tarts
- Pomegranate Cheesecake Cups
- Mini Turtle Cheesecake
- Cookie Dough Cheesecakes
- Mini Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecakes
- Mini Tie Dye Cheesecakes
Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners and place 1 oreo in the bottom. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whip cream cheese and sugar together until combined. Stir in cocoa, vanilla, egg and red food coloring until smooth and desired color. Spoon batter over oreos so cups are filled 2/3 way full approximately.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set completely. Cool to room temperature and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- For serving, remove paper cupcake liner and place on platter. Microwave nutella in heat-proof bowl to thin out and make more spreadable. Spoon over cheesecakes and spread to cover the top completely.