This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are savory and cheesy, filled with a delicious sausage, panko and herb mixture with two kinds of cheese. Baked to golden bubbly perfection. Fancy enough for a dinner party, but will fly off your casual party table as well. Want another stuffed mushroom option? Try my delicious Enchilada Stuffed Mushrooms.
What are Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms?
Stuffed mushrooms are a delicious and savory appetizer or side dish made by removing the stems from mushroom caps and filling with a mixture of ingredients, such as ground meat (like sausage), breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs, and spices. The filled caps are then baked or grilled until the filling is hot and the mushrooms are tender.
Best Mushrooms for Stuffing
For this recipe I used Baby Portabellas, also called cremini mushrooms. They are smaller mushrooms and hold about two to three teaspoons of filling – perfect for a party appetizer! You can also use just regular ol’ button mushrooms, but the baby bellas have more flavor in my opinion.
If you wanted to use larger mushrooms, I would use regular size portobello mushrooms. They are large, meaty, and delicious. Enough to become an entrée or side dish all their own!
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
For full recipe details, including ingredients needed and measurements see the printable recipe card down below.
Preheat Oven + Prep Baking Dish
Preheat oven. Spray a baking dish or rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
Clean + Prep Mushroom Caps
Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth or paper towel. Using a paring knife, trim just the very ends of the mushroom stems where they are tough and woody. Pop out the remaining mushroom stem and finely dice. Set aside.
Not all recipes will call for you to include the stems in the stuffing mixture, but I feel they add great texture and flavor and it’s a shame to just throw them away!
Make Sausage Mixture
In a large skillet, brown diced onion and sausage. Break apart sausage as it cooks into very fine crumbles towards the end of the cooking process. Brown very well for ultimate flavor!
Add in diced mushroom stems and garlic to sausage mixture and sauté for a few minutes until mushrooms stems are softened and garlic is fragrant.
Remove from heat. Add herbs and seasonings, cream cheese, parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
Note: Since sausage is typically very salty already, this recipe does not call for any additional salt but feel free to salt to taste.
Fill Mushroom Caps
Fill each mushroom cap with a heaping amount of sausage filling firmly pressing with a spoon to compact and smooth filling into mushroom.
Note: This batch made 24 medium to small mushrooms, but this all depends on the size of your mushrooms. If you find you have extra filling, you can just bake that alongside your mushrooms – it’s delicious even on its own!
Bake Until Golden Brown
Place into a baking dish or rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350° F for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy hot!
What to Serve with Stuffed Mushrooms
Stuffed mushrooms can be served as an appetizer, side dish, or main course, depending on the size and ingredients used. Some popular accompaniments for stuffed mushrooms include:
- Grilled or roasted meats, such as chicken or steak
- A Green Salad – Wedge Salad, Caprese Salad, or Italian Pasta Salad would be amazing!
- Grilled or roasted vegetables such as asparagus, zucchini, or bell peppers
- Pasta or rice
- Bread or crusty rolls – Toasted Whole Wheat Bread, Garlic Bread, or Craigo’s Breadsticks would all be good options.
- A light sauce or dip, such as marinara, aioli, or ranch dressing
- Other appetizers to create an app table for your next party
Storing Stuffed Mushrooms
To store in the fridge – place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Proper storage can keep them fresh for up to 3 days.
To reheat – it’s best to bake or microwave the mushrooms until they are heated through to ensure that the filling does not become dry or overcooked.
To freeze – place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Then transfer them to an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, bake or microwave from frozen.
Love Stuffed Mushrooms? Give These Recipes a Try!
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Stuffed Peppers
- Cabbage Rolls
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- BBQ Turkey Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
Make these for your next get together with friends! If you do try this recipe, I would LOVE it if you would give it a star rating and let me know what you think in the comments! The printable recipe card is below. Have a great weekend, friends! 🙂
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 oz mushrooms baby bella preferred
- 1 cup onion diced
- 16 oz ground pork sausage or breakfast sausage roll
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- parsley fresh, chopped – for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F and spray a baking dish or rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth.
- Using a paring knife, trim just the very ends of the mushroom stems where they are tough and woody.
- Pop out the remaining mushroom stem and finely dice. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown diced onion and sausage. Chop meat into very fine crumbles towards the end of the cooking process. Brown very well for ultimate flavor!
- Add in diced mushroom stems and garlic to sausage mixture and sauté for a few minutes until mushrooms stems are softened and garlic is fragrant.
- Remove from heat. Add herbs and seasonings, cream cheese, parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
- Fill each mushroom cap with a heaping amount of sausage filling firmly pressing with a spoon to compact and smooth filling into mushroom.
- Place into a baking dish or rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 350° F for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy hot!